Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Rose's Thoughts on Elizabeth Browning's poem Aurora Leigh Book One

Poor Aurora. Growing up under the wing of people who aren't your own parents is hard; I know first hand- thank God for Mrs. Maylie. From the beginning of this first book it seems as though Aurora's parents were amazing and loving. Even her father was a nurturing man. Kinda makes me wish I knew my parents when they were alive. But I love how Browning portrays her throughout the book. A young girl who loses both parents at such a young age and still becomes enlightened, goes to school and learns so much, and has a aspiration to become a poet. Aurora has become almost like a role model for me after reading this. I know her struggles and in turn I feel as though I should be doing great things as she is. She is a strong female in a male dominant world (and that Romney doesn't seem to let her forget it) trying to make her mark. I have such respect and admiration for her thus far.

1 comment:

  1. Oh and how this poem is making me think of poor Oliver. I know he's got nobody in the world, being an orphan like myself, and is making poor decisions. He needs to read this poem and realize he's young enough to make a difference in this world like Aurora, and not be a little theif. I feel like I should take on the role of Oliver's aunt and guide him as Aurora's does for her.

    ReplyDelete